Friday, January 21, 2011

where to draw the line. is there a line. bible. | school integration...

When and where do you draw the lines when it comes to things that presumably hold high meaning to you? There are a few areas that have made me think about this recently: bible; justice; urban/suburban schooling. I will write on each of these as they come to mind. With that, here is bible!
Where do you, if you do at all, draw the line when it comes to the bible. When do we (I) choose to take the bible as it is stated and(or) when do I use it as a guide and(or) when do I use it as a historical record of God? I can say that this question is not important, but I truly believe it is. I know people that take the Bible as it is, word for word, if it is in the Bible, then it is truth. Whereas others I know would say the Bible is important in understanding the historical context of God, but believe that modern day differs from the Bibles' era and we can pull things from it that identifies how humanity ought to be lived out but is not an exact replica of then and now. When Jesus commanded us to do things does that mean exactly the same today? Do we apply it to 2011 and if so what does that look like? I would be willing to guess for each person it looks differently. To me at least, it never seems enough, whatever it is that I'm doing. I always feel  there is more to do and I'm not doing enough....maybe I'm interpreting the Bible incorrectly. All the gaps that the Gospels seem to have in Jesus' life, maybe I'm filling those in with unrealistic expectations of my own life. Or maybe it still is not enough? When do you stop helping others. Do you take "me" time? Or is that being selfish? I can go on, but I think you get the point. Where do you draw the line in Christianity and following Jesus? Or do you?

3 comments:

  1. “The Scriptures,” he (Luther) declares, “although they were written by men are not from men but from God.” And again, “We must make a great difference between God’s Word and the word of man. A man’s word is a little sound that flies into the air and soon vanishes; but the Word of God is greater than heaven and earth, yea, greater than death and hell, for it forms part of the power of God, and endures everlastingly; we should therefore diligently study God’s Word, and know, and assuredly believe that God Himself speaks unto us.”

    It was this tremendous conviction that expressed itself in his memorable words at the Diet of Worms, when to the demand that he should recant, he replied: “Having been conquered by the Scriptures referred to, and my conscience taken captive by the Word of God, I cannot and will not revoke anything, for it is neither safe nor right to act against one’s conscience. Here I stand; I can do no other. So help me God.”

    Puritan Papers Volume Two
    Edited by J.I. Packer
    page 53

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The Scriptures,” he (Calvin) declares, “are the only records in which God has been pleased to consign His truth to perpetual remembrance,” and therefore “the full authority which they ought to possess with the faithful is not recognized, unless they are believed to have come from heaven, as directly as if God had been heard giving utterance to them.”

    Puritan Papers Volume Two
    Edited by J.I. Packer
    page 54

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain Garbers. And I get your points, TW. My thoughts are probably neither as introspective or as studied (respectively) but here goes. If the scripture is the inspired Word of God in it's totality, (and I believe it is) and if I buy that what we have today as "Holy Scripture" was chosen by man under the authority and influence of God, then we have to take it all. Certainly there are parts of it that make me uncomfortable and when certain writers or preachers challenge me through the Word to do certain things or believe a certain way I had darn well better be trusting the Holy Spirit which dwells in me to sift the words of the preacher from the words of the Lord. I look for principles in the scripture that are part of building my own (Spirit-led) code of conduct, rather than looking for a list of dos and don'ts. I guess the bottom-line approach I have is to follow a few basic rules.
    1. Trust that the Word is from God . . . all of it.
    2. Know my limitations in understanding it, and depend on the Holy Spirit which dwells in me to bring about the transformation I long for.
    3. Don't listen to anyone who says, "just trust me, God wants you to think this way."
    4. Rejoice that the same God who created the world, sacrificed His Son for me and speaks to me through His Word wants to transform me into His image daily. The key is the heart, mind, soul response to His love that slides me out of the way so I can reflect Him to this world we still live in.
    Garbers, I love that you are asking and seeking. My opinions are just that. God loves you so much that He uses ALL of life to embrace you and call you to Himself.

    ReplyDelete